Diagnostics & Remedies for Moisture:
A moisture-ridden crawl space can be a major issue for our homes in the low country. We at C&C Myers Heating, A/C, Plumbing & Drains use building science principles to determine the root cause of any moisture within your crawl space. Tell-tale signs may be present within your home that can help you determine if you have a moisture problem. You should check for the following:
- Cupping of the hardwood floors; floors will rise up slightly during the summer, lay down slightly during the winter, and return to cup even worse during the following summer.
- Insulation falling down in the crawlspace.
- Musty/ mildew type smell detected when initially entering the home or a closed closet.
- Unexplained allergic symptoms from members of your family.
Moisture in crawl spaces can be a common problem for several reasons. We often find that it is a combination of three categories that contribute to these moisture problems.
- Humid outside air infiltration
- Rain water run-off
- Ground water evaporation
Multiple proactive measures can be implemented to help reduce or possibly eliminate the problem of moisture in your family home’s crawl space(s). The most proactive method is to seal the crawl space, which will save up to 15-20% on energy consumption. Open crawl spaces can also be maintained, but will require constant future maintenance.